Anyone who has had the chance to visit the Wizarding World of Harry Potter can likely recall one highlight with the utmost clarity — trying Butterbeer for the first time! From the moment the Universal attractions first opened, this magical treat proved to be just as popular with us muggles as it was with the wizarding world.
The catch? The enchanting beverage is nearly impossible to purchase outside of the parks. Even finding a realistic recipe for homemade Butterbeer is a difficult task...
But of course, that didn’t stop us! We reviewed dozens of copycat Butterbeer recipes on our quest to recreate the popular treat.
In the end, we landed on Wizarding World Park’s recipe for the #1 Best Butterbeer. Using their method as a starting place, we modified the instructions based on our testing to create a Homemade Frozen Butterbeer Recipe so delicious it might even cast a spell on Harry himself.
Try it for yourself and let us know in the comments how your Butterbeer turns out!
HOMEMADE FROZEN BUTTERBEER RECIPE
Makes 4 slushies
1/2 cup light or dark brown sugar
1 tbsp water
3 tbsp butter
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp apple cider vinegar
3/8 cup heavy cream (divided)
1/4 tsp rum extract
2 bottles (12 oz. bottles) chilled cream soda
Splash of vanilla rum (optional)
1. Combine the brown sugar and water in a small saucepan over medium heat, stirring often until the mixture homogenizes (about 5 minutes).
2. Mix in the butter, salt, vinegar and half of the heavy cream. Once the all ingredients are thoroughly combined, remove from heat and set aside to cool. (TIP: To help this freeze faster, place mixture in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.)
3. When the mixture is at room temperature, stir in the rum extract.
4. In a large mixing glass or pitcher, combine the brown sugar mixture (reserving 1 tbsp for later) and the chilled cream soda. Mix thoroughly.
5. Transfer to 4 of ZOKU's Slush & Shake Makers and let freeze, stirring and scraping the walls of the cups every 1-2 minutes until slush consistency is reached (about 7 minutes).
6. While you are freezing the drinks: In a medium-sized mason jar, stir the 1 tbsp of the brown sugar mixture you reserved into the remaining half of the heavy cream. Close the jar securely and shake vigorously until the mixture thickens slightly (about 2 minutes).
7. Spoon the whipped topping onto the slushies and enjoy!
8. Optional for a spiked twist: Stir a splash of vanilla rum into your slushy before adding the topping.
Want to keep up the creativity? You can find more ZOKU slush recipes here!